We all love to get out and enjoy outdoor activities. Whether it is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire or the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, there are many activities we all enjoy in the outdoors. It is important to know how to enjoy the outdoors safely.
There are just so many things to do outdoors that many of us might not even think about. Some wonderful outdoor activities include:
- Kite flying
- Target shooting
- Hiking and biking
- Mountain climbing
- Skiing and snowshoeing
To make the most of your fun outdoors, it is important to keep a few safety rules in mind,
otherwise your fun can be ruined. Simple safety rules to keep in mind include:
- When setting up your campsite, it is important to know the weather and where you are. If you set up your campsite near a creek or river, always know where the high ground is if a rainstorm causes a flash flood.
- Bears can be a problem. Keep your camp free of food and put all trash out of smell and reach of bears. A bear can enter your campsite and your tents if they smell any food scraps.
- If you intend to do any target shooting, it is best to talk to the Forest Service about the local laws. Some national parks allow target shooting and in other parks it is against the law. Being arrested would certainly ruin your outdoor fun, so check with the Forest Service or sheriffs department before you target shoot.
- If your outdoor activities will include hiking or mountain climbing, it is alwaysadvisable to do this before noon. Afternoon thunderstorms in the mountains canalways cause dangerous lightning. Lightning can strike literally out of a blue sky if the storm is behind the mountain.
- Dress in layers. You can always take a light jacket off or an outer shirt off if you get hot. And those extra layers are there if the weather should turn cloudy, windy or cold.
Outdoor Fun Safety Equipment
It is always best to be prepared when having fun in the outdoors. And this includes a few basic items and a little knowledge. When planning to be outdoors, a few items you should take with you include:
A first aid kit is a must. Nothing elaborate, but a basic first aid kid should include the usual first aid items and also include anti-venom in case of a snake or spider bite and medication for possible anaphylactic shock from a bee sting or other allergic reactions. A NOAA weather radio is recommended. A weather radio will alert you to storms and flash flooding at your location. During the winter, an avalanche beacon can save your life if you should be caught in an avalanche. It is a good idea to let others know where you will be camping or hiking and when you plan to return.
Basic Outdoor Recreation Items
When planning to be in the outdoors, it does pay to have the best equipment you can afford. A tent that doesn’t leak when it rains is important. Taking emergency food with you is a must since it can save your life. Emergency food should be lightweight and
be able to be eaten without water or cooking. A few examples of emergency food are dehydrated and freeze dried foods. There are several well known companies that sell emergency and survival foods for outdoor recreation. Some good examples of outdoor survival foods are:
- Backpacker's Pantry sells every type of meal you can imagine such as organic scrambled eggs, red beans and rice and many more. Backpackers Pantry is well known to outdoor enthusiast for emergency foods.
- Mountain House is another well known company that sells outdoor survival food with every type of package and meal you can imagine.
- Water is important. You can buy water purification kits, which would be important if you are not able to have a fire to boil water.
- MREs or Meals-Ready-to-Eat are another great source of outdoor survival food. MREs do not take heat or water and they are ready to eat right out of the package. They are also lightweight and do not take up much room.
- Fire starters can be a smart addition. These will start a fire even if your matches and the wood get wet.
Enjoying the outdoors is great. By taking the above precautions, you can make your outdoor recreation even more fun and safe without worry.